Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Cola-Cao Obsession

For those of you who have spent time in any Spanish home, you know what I'm talking about when I say Cola-Cao. Similar to Nesquik, this powered chocolate drink is an absolute staple in every house and cafe in Spain. It is drunk hot or cold by people young and old and it is EVERYWHERE.

Back in my skyping days with Nacho, I recall many times seeing him sit in front of the computer drinking a cola-cao. I didn't think anything of it, really. But now that I have stayed in his house and talked with my students at the school, I realize that a day does not go by without most people having one of these powdered chocolate milk drinks. Their popularity astounds me because, if we're being honest here (and Nacho don't read this..) it really doesn't taste all that good! I mean, those of you back home I'm sure you've had nesquik, right? But if you're gonna make chocolate milk you go for the good stuff- Hershey's chocolate syrup (which they don't even sell here, nothing Hershey's at all!). But nevertheless, when I ask my first year students what they have for breakfast every morning, without fail every single one says a cola-cao. When I order a coffee at a cafe, I see adults around me having a cola-cao. It seems to be the answer to everything- breakfast, lunch and dinner. I guess it's just one of those things I won't ever fully understand.. and thanks to dating a Spanish man I too now have this yellow container forever on my shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment